Thank you DH for my present..

You know how some ladies swear their man just does not get them? I love that my man gets me… some ladies want jewlery or new outfits or fancy dinners out for their b-days..  Mine got me a brand-new Excalibur Dehydrator! with their cookbook Perserve it Naturally, the Complete Guide to Food Dehydration, Third Edition.

With our very humid summers its proven to be quite hard to be able to count of drying or perserving the harvest naturally, so moving over to the electic Dehydration is a good choice in many cases, while still using the drying screens in the summer when weather allows. With the cost of power where it is, using the most effective means of drying becomes important, we had gotten to the point of running two of the smaller round ones, plus the oven at times and still not having enough space and of equal importance, we were having trouble getting the temps right on some of the more fragile things I was drying, which meant reduced qaulity in the end product, I have a big old learning curve ahead of me with my new machine and I will certianly share along the way on how it goes..

If you own a Excalibur and have any advice for me, I would love to hear it?

This entry was posted in Family, Food Production and Recipes, Food Storage and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Thank you DH for my present..

1. Emma says:

Congratulations on your new toy! We have (2) nine tray, (1) five tray and (1) retired four tray Excalibur dehydrators. We use them 24/6 to dry all kinds of nuts for our business of organic “crispy nuts”, as recommended by Sally Fallon of Weston A. Price Foundation. We love our trusty dehydrators! Have fun dehydrating…

2. Kristine says:

I have had an Excalibur for over 25 years, actually two of them. Won’t go to the round one. Yes, I do have to rotate the shelf 180′ degrees halfway through, but I can get alot into the dryer. I use it to make yogurt. I love the timer and the temperature gauge.

3. Wow! I am jealous – in a good way. You’ve got a good man there. 😀

4. queen of string says:

Awesome, I’m still on the old round ones, trying to work up the courage to spend out on an excalibur :-). Great when you get just what you want for your birthday. Many happy returns by the way , I do hope there will be cake!

5. thriftymomma says:

Happy Brithday! I have an Excal (my hubby got mine for me too) and I love the thing! Helps me reliably make perfect yogurt in 4-1/2 hours. Great for all the produce from the garden. Made some dried tomatoes this year, they look so pretty in their jars. Like Kristine, I’ve found that rotating the trays halfway through, usually just before I go to bed, is a help and I think shaves off a little drying time. Love the fact that there’s a temperature gauge. Love the fact that so much food can fit into such small containers when dried. Last week I did 5 large bunches of celery and it all fit into 1 quart jar! Unbelievable…lol.

Have fun with your new tool/toy!

6. Kristine says:

Purchase FYI…We bought our second one from Ebay for about half the price of a new one. It had barley been used. Try Craigslist too.

7. jj says:

There’s not actually much of a learning curve. The temps are clearly marked, in both temperature and in what the temp is ideal for drying (fruit, veggies, meat, etc). The biggest issues I have had are a) remembering not to stack drippy stuff over other things that I don’t want sauce dripped on (when doing flavored zucchini chips, for instance, dipped in vinegar, don’t put those trays above the tomatoes, lol), and also the trays are close enough together that sometimes you have to remove every other tray to dehydrate bulky stuff. Also, we don’t like to run it at night, because the fan is noisy, and keeps us up. Luckily, many things dry in just a day, so we have not had to run it overnight very often. It’s a great investment, and makes dehydrating much more precise – enjoy 🙂

8. Daisy says:

Happy birthday to you!

Yes! Happy Birthday to the busiest person ever (and congratulations on breaking your 1200 jar mark: )

All this talk about dehydrated food makes me think that making food packets for backpackers/campers could be a really good business to get into. Have you seen the price of that stuff??

10. Thanks everyone for the great comments, the birthday wishes, I got to open it a few days early but I will post a cake picture for my B-day.. I have to agree that now that I am using it, it’s super easy to use and no real learning curve at all, but I do love filling it up in the morning and having a new glass jar full of dried something by bed time.. Good idea to look for a gently used second hand one for some savings there.