Carrot Pudding for Christmas

Here is my basic Carrot Pudding Recipe, I can and sometimes do make changes, I like to make mine in pint or quarter jars and normally waterbath for a couple hours, just remember to only fill your jars 2/3rds full as the pudding will expand while cooking.

• 1 cup grated carrots
  • 1 cup peeled and shredded potatoes
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup dark raisins
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 TBS ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground allspice
  • 1 tsp ground cloves
  • 1 tsp ground Ginger
  • You can add walnuts if you like.. or make it lighter in color by using white suger.
  • Sauce
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 cup brown sugar

When its time to serve, you can place your jar in a pot of warm simmering water to reheat it (as my grandmother used to do) or you can place in bowls and use the microwave.. The rich creamy sauce makes the finishing touch on this pudding.. I personally can’t imagine not having the sauce on it, but I have heard that some serve it with whipped cream or devon cream raither then the brown suger sauce..

Its a fall charmer, made when you have tons of potato’s and carrots coming out of the garden, and it is without a doubt a frugal way to provide a special treat in the old days..

This entry was posted in Family, Food Production and Recipes, frugal and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Carrot Pudding for Christmas

1. Pingback: Carrot Pudding Round Two | Just another Day on the Farm

2. Pingback: March Challange Day 2- Potato | Just another Day on the Farm

3. Joyce says:

How long do you let it stay in the hot water canner? You say a couple of hours, but how long at boiling point? Thanks.

Thanks for the question above, when I say a couple hours in the hot water bath, that is counted as the time at a good steady roiling boil, if you need to add more water, boil it in a kettle and top up as required. Its a long time, but its a dense and heavy pudding that needs to cook the full way though.

4. Joyce says:

Thank you!

5. Heather says:

I never would have guessed there were potatoes in this! And I also have a question…could this be processed in a pressure canner? I’m thinking it would take less time than a water bath? Thanks!

• I have never pressure canned it, if you are going to try, considering the amount of swelling it does, I would worry personally about that happening to fast in a pressure canner, so I think I would only start with a half-full jar and see.. No advice to give on how long in it either.. Everyone in my family for the past four gens has always done the waterbath with it.. if you do use the pressure canner, come back and let me know what you did, please an thanks and how it turned out..

• Heather says:

Well after all of your suggestions…I think I will stick to the old fashioned way! I would NOT want to have an explosion in my pressure canner :/ !!!!! Thanks so much!

• Yes, potato’s, carrots, it was a way to take a little spice, a bit of fruit, lots of easily gotten fall farm garden delights and turn it into a filling, tasty treat for Christmas/Thanksgiving, this way everyone could have a good size bowlful at the table.

• Heather says:

Those old timers really knew how to use it all…never waste…didn’t they?! I really wish I had learned more from my grandma while she was here. She grew up during the depression and had a reputation for making a fantastic dinner with a bare cupboard. Not sure how lol. Now we’re learning to do these frugal things out of necessity. How wise we would have been to learn from our elders.

6. Frank Smith says:

recently we came across a recipe that only required the pudding mix to be cooked in a water bath canner for 30-45 minutes after reaching the rolling boil when comparing this to almost every other recipe we began to question the differences in cooking time is there health issue that makes the 2-3 and longer cooking necessary?
    thanks
    Frank

• Hi Frank

Because the mix is quite heavy, like batter really, it takes a long! time to cook though to the middle, I have never read a recipe for this type of canned pudding that only calls for 30 to 45 min in a water bath and I would not do it, perhaps it might?? work in a pressure canner for that time but its my understanding that its not a good idea to make it in one as it needs to do a slow steady expand in the jar, and I have heard that the pressure canner can cause them to blow up in the canner, what a mess that woud be.

All I can say is that the recipe including how to cook it has been my family for generations and that it has worked well for us.

7. Ann Hayford says:

How long can I safely store, and by what method (on shelves or in freezer,) bottled (canned) carrot pudding?

• Its canned, and ideally needs to sit for a two week up to a month before use but I have eaten the next day and excellent but Grandma would say it need a month of sitting and aging in the canning jar in the cool cellar or a dark cool pantry, it should not be frozen, If you do the first old fashion recipe it will easily keep 3 to 4 months and I have maybe gone as long as six before its all eaten, it might keep longer but not at my house,and I did find if I added nuts it really should be used by 3 months, no nuts I would say six months and your good.. I just found that the nuts long term effects the overall flavour.. Hope that helps.

8. Pingback: Why We Can: Family, part 1 (the Christensens) | Nine

9. Pingback: Preserved Puddings | Nine

10. Monie says:

We are always looking for great recipes in regards to carrots! They are so cheap/easy and stock a pantry well. Thank you for this!

11. Emma says:

Hi I was wonder if I can use this recipe with a Fowlers vacola water bath as it doesn’t reach more than 95 degrees Celsius.

• Hi Emma, honestly, I do not have a answer for that, I will need to do some research and get back to you.. that’s the best I can say this morning

• Monie says:

I wouldn’t do potatoes in anything other than a pressure canner. Pressure canning is the only safe method of canning low-acid foods and you don’t want to risk botulism growth. Botulism spores are killed at temps of 120 degrees Celsius for at least 30 minutes. If you’re talking Vacola jars, I’ve always struggled to find anything that shows they are safe for canning meats/etc…I’ve heard of people doing it, but I personally wouldn’t risk it. 🙂 Hope that helps!

• Hi Monie,

O this recipe breaks all kinds of current modern rules, sort of.. The higher acid fruits, the sugar and the acid, combine to make it more like canning a lower acid food, however now, they say.. never can flour.. and of course there is flour in this as well..

this is a old recipe, its been around for more then a hundred plus years (in my family alone) and I am very open about the fact that it does not meet current standards to be canning, unless you make it and then store it in the fridge before using it.. but that brings in the cold cellar..

which in the old days canning was stored in the cellar, which at least in my family was set to be just above zero, now, folks use modern recipes and assume they can store it in their heated shelves in a apartment and it will all be good..

Anyway, for Emma, never make this recipe in a pressure canner.. It will blow up your jars, its ability to increase in volume and size in water bath canning if not done right, leads to blowouts and for the few folks that I have pressure canned, the mess is mindblowing..

I would rather you consider it steamed pudding and store it in the fridge before use then pressure can it..

I just got back from a event an still need to look up the info on your fowlers water bath 🙂

12. Monie says:

Ahh thanks for that! I suppose I should have read past the carrots and potatoes 😉 Regardless, it looks delicious and I’m excited to try it!

13. Emma says:

Hi i have just recently discovered your wonderful page 😊 roughly the same time i started water bath preserving (fowlers vacola way). I’ve fallen in love with the idea of preserving as much as i can and i love the idea of preserving cakes and puddings. I’ve only be able to find your receipt and a traditional Christmas pudding recipe but i was hoping you could advise me on other cake/pudding recipes that i can make as i don’t fancy eating Christmas puddings all year.
    Thank you so much and I look forward to hearing from you regards Emma

• good morning emma, ok I had a interesting read on your info, ok, so you have straight sided jars with the rubber rings with a center piece and ring, I was raised with those types of jars so understand the type an otherwise from my reading you are waterbath canning.

ok, so I can help you on answering waterbath canning, love it, prefer it personally and work at times to get away from pressure canning in regards to recipes in order to waterbath..

However having said that the reason you are not finding other recipes is because despite me have hundreds of cookbooks ranging from late 1800’s to the newest and most up to date ones, no one cans cake/pudding, its just not done, flour has never been a good thing to can with.. even mine its a small part with fruit, veggies being the bigger amounts

So even if I wanted to share older recipes I can not as its just not done..

• Thank you so much for replying so quickly. What a bummer about the desserts. Thanks again xo

• You mentioned that you try and stay clear of the pressure canner where possible -just wondering why? Im seriously considering buy a pressure canner instead of an electronic waterbath version (ive been borrowing mums fowlers outfit). Ive never used a pressure canner and no one i know has one so i cant trial it out (i live in Australia). Ive been watching a lot of YouTube videos on them. My mum is trying to talk me out of a pressure canner 😊. I love the idea of being able to bottle”can” foods that i would otherwise by in a can eg beans, corn etc and other scary things like meat and etc. I would love to know your honest opinion of these two options-any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Hi, so there is two answers to your questions, one I do use a pressure canner, in fact I own two of them, and I use them to can meat, fish, soups, and stews and low acid veggies, its the only safe way to do so.. So if you want to do that, then I agree with you.. you must get and use a pressure canner

• However to get to your other point, I do not like using the pressure canner if I can use the water bath canner and you want to know why..
        Simple, its math.. I can large amounts so the pressure canner is the slow one.

Example, I want to process a bushel or more of beets, if I am water bath canning them in a light (but safe pickle) then I can process 18 pints three times a hour and if I worked for three hours at full speed, I would have 162 pints of pickled beets put up, and when you go to use them, you just give them a rinse, put fresh water on, heat and serve as normal.

If I did them in a pressure canner, it would still take the same three hours, prepare the 18 pint jars, bring the pressure canner up to full heat, hold it at heat and then process and then hold it will it comes down and finally is able to take lid off and remove the 18 pints..

That is why if I can I find ways around using the pressure canner.. 162 pints in three hours vs 18 pints in the same time frame..

So when I can use salt, sugar or acid to take low acid veggies and make them safe for water bath canning, I do so.

• Thank you so much for your wonderful help. xo
        I can’t wait to try your carrot and potato pudding.

• Sandra Suter says:

Hi Emma, I have bottled plum puddings (both regular and gluten free) using the recipe in the Fowlers book supplied with my Simple Natural Preserving unit (plastic, electric model). Because I wasn’t sure of the times because usually you just process your fruit for 1 hour, I contacted Fowlers direct. They told me to fill the unit to the handles and to process for 3 hours 30 minutes, not to worry about how hard the water was boiling and to top up the water level as necessary with boiling water to maintain the level. I did this and the results were excellent! Both the gluten free (substituting gluten free SR flour and bread crumbs) and the regular ones lasted well over 1 year with no deterioration at all. The man I spoke to said I could make any other steamed puddings safely this way. I hope this helps you. If you have any doubts, you could contact Fowlers direct. I found them to be very helpful and friendly.

Oh, by the way, he told me to double clip the jars prior to processing – just cross the second clip over the first one.

Good luck!p

14. LOL, I’m thinking that this was probably the first post of yours that I ever read. SO glad to have come across it again, especially this weekend; )
    Your family recipe for Carrot Pudding is amazingly close to mine: ) but we steamed the little puds in the oven using a Bain Marie (water bath) for 3 hours. Greased Campbell’s soup cans were used as moulds, filled to 3/4, then covered with little tinfoil caps and they cooked a lot faster than using a traditional pudding mould. After cooling, these smaller servings were then vacuum-sealed and frozen until needed. Hard Sauce was caramelised brown sugar and butter, thinned with 4c water, thickened with starch and flavoured with a pinch of salt and vanilla (or rum; )
    The sauce was my favourite part. (LOL! You can never have too much sauce: )

15. Karen says:

Could I make this in a slow cooker

• I have never done so but I don’t see why not, you might need to make it and let it sit overnight to let the spices meld better and then reheat and serve or I would perhaps try once and see if you need to add just a overall touch more spice to get the effect.

If you do, let me know how it goes