Rhubarb and Dumplings Recipe

So at some time in the spring or summer, you picked, washed and chopped and either froze or canned up some of that amazing plant called rhubarb.

Here is a great way to use it on a cold winter day!

P1050603

Stewed Rhubarb and Sweet Dumplings

4 to 6 cups (depending on how you cut your rhubarb) one stuffed small ziplock freezer bag, 1/4 cup of lemon juice and one cup of sugar (less if your rhubarb is sweeter, perhaps a touch more if its a more older sour green kind) and a ten cup pot with a tight fitting lid.

P1050600

Put the frozen rhubarb or the quart of canned rhubarb in the pot and heat till at a steady simmer, if it was uncooked, cook till soft and just starting to pull apart, if it was canned, just heat till its simmering.

In a bowl, measure 1 cup of flour, 1 tbsp. of sugar, a pinch of salt, one tsp of baking powder and 1 tbsp. of butter, blend the dry together, then add the butter and cut it into the mixture till its well rubbed in, then make a well in the middle and pour half a cup of cold milk or water into the well, and stir just till mixed..

P1050601

Use your spoon to gentle cut and shape it into six equal portions, drop each one into the boiling -simmering stewed rhubarb (keep low just simmering heat on), each should go about half way into the stew very naturally, put the lid on and set your timer for 10 min.

Do not peek! Let it steam those amazing dumplings!

P1050602

I took a close up of them when done, I wanted to show how dry them will look despite the fact that they are steamed and just how big and fluffy they are. Here is a close one to show what it looks like inside?

P1050605.JPG

Can be served hot or cold, can be served as seen above or can have a dollop of whip cream or a small scoop of ice cream.

This entry was posted in Life moves on daily and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Rhubarb and Dumplings Recipe

Mmm, this looks delicious, FG!
    I like to “cheat” when cooking dumplings and use a glass lid (just so I can make sure of what’s going on in there; )
    Do you ever do a Fruit Crisp with your rhubarb?

• Of course, Rhubarb Crisp is one of the first things I learned as a child, and from about the age of eight, if one was to be made, it was my job 🙂 in fact as a funny, my mom will call me and say.. family recipe and out it comes, including about three ways to do this or that, and this much for this single, double and how to tell its done LOL Love my rhubarb Crisp.

Y’know, I’ve been thinking… These look SO amazing that I couldn’t help but wonder how else they might be served.
    Which led me to think about a chocolate fudge or butterscotch syrup or even a really simple brown sugar butter syrup & add a sprinkle of cinnamon after.
    Of course, that doesn’t include actually cooking them…

• In order to get the steamed dumplings without the flavour of what they were cooked on, would need a dumpling steamer and then you can add whatever you want as a syrup or drizzle on them.. you can also then stuff them with bits of goodies and steam them.. I love steamed stuffed dumplings of all kinds..

• Deb Weyrich-Cody says:

Just wondering about whether using plain water (to simmer them on) would work, instead of food…

• To get the kind of fat and fluffy dumplings I like, it would not work, you can not make them with broth either, if I want to make them with soup, I need to remove the broth to certain volume to get the results I like. having said that, you also need to have a certain depth of the hot liquid. If I can not do it in broth only, I can not see what working, same thickness, same issues.. Like I said if you want to use water, you need a dumpling steaming basket set up

3. judy says:

Wow…your dumplings look sooooo yummy! Tomorrow’s treat!
    I made your poppy seed loaf over the weekend & we certainly loved it! Lacking lemons I used oranges.

Here’s some rhubarb dishes we like a lot…..first rhubarb of the year ALWAYS goes into rhubarb meringue coconut squares. It’s one treat that our daughter asks for when coming home from overseas….they’re so good & easy! Can use frozen rhubarb too in the winter. You cna’t just eat one! LOL
    We eat a lot of perogies & serve them with rhubarb sauce that I can in the early summer. Plus rhubarb sauce tastes great on ice cream to cut the sweet flavours. Can’t forget rhubarb lime jam!
    Rhubarb crisp is up there too!!!!

Thanks again for sharing your ideas!!

• how interesting, what do you use as a filling in the homemade dumplings that are served with the rhubarb sauce and is the rhubarb meringue square a family recipe or would you be willing to shar it here, if you write it out, I would love to make it and give it a try, if I put on the blog will give you credit unless its from cookbook x and then I will credit both 🙂

• Deb Weyrich-Cody says:

I totally agree with FarmGal; these all sound like really interesting ways to use rhubarb, Judy (and any recipe you’d be willing to share would be great: )

4. judy says:

Rhubarb Merinque Coconut Squares
    Perheat oven 350

1/2c butter
    1c flour
    1T white sugar
    Mix together & pat into 9X9 square pan. Bake 10 min. Remove from heat then pour in filling

Filling:
    Blend togheter:
    3 egg yolks
    1c white sugar
    2T flour
    1/4 t slat
    1/2c 20% light cream (I use 1/2 & 1/2)
    Then mix in 21/2 c cut up rhubarb pieces. I cut mine into about 1″ pieces, give or take.
    If using frozen rhubarb through the winter I mix it with a extra 2T flour so it’s not too watery.
    Pour over baked crust & bake 45 min longer.

Merinque:
    Beat til foamy:
    3 egg whites……. my daughter LOVES the merinque topping so I always thrown in a couple more egg whites for her without changing the testure.
    Then slowly add in 1/3c white sugar a T at a time til stiff peaks form.
    Add 1t vanilla & mix well……homemade vanilla is soooo good!
    Spread over the baked filling. I make pretty peaks with a fork. Sprinkle with 1/4c lightly browned shredded coconut . Bake about 8 min just to brown the merinque…..watch careful not to burn the topping.

I have NO IDEA where I found this recipe! Been making it since the late “70s….now that’s OLD! LOL It’s been on MANY wedding reception dessert plates! Hope you like!!!!

*****another rhubarb recipe is making juice & cordial. We make rhubarb fizzy drinks…easy….pour ginger ale while stirring to mkae it fizzy! I bottle the juice or freeze it in milk jars.

***** does anyone have any other recipes to share please, would love it!

5. judy says:

Here’s what’s in my perogries:
    mashed potatoes/well cooked & drained bacon ….super good!
    mashed potato/browned onion…..super good!
    mashed potato/cheese (blue cheese works well)
    mashed potato/fried cabbage/poopy seed/cream cheese
    mashed potatoes/slightly cooked kale
    I put my potatoes through a OLD ricer for a super smooth texture put you don’t have to. DON’T put any milk or any liquid or butter because it will seepy out of the perogeries……just palin potatoes.
    We eat perogies with homemade sour cream & rhubarb sauce. I use anything with the potatoes that we like. What do you use?

• I make little meat-cabbage ones, I make potato an onion, or potato an cheese, I like old chedder or cottage, I make fruit ones as well, can be served with butter, onions an bacon , or sour cream or brown sugar-cream for the dessert ones

6. Pingback: 12 Ways to Use Rhubarb with Recipes | Just another Day on the Farm