How many of your have been tried Heart? Its a surprisingly good meat to consider adding in now an again to your meals. I would recommend that if you are considering having a larger animals heart for the first time, consider serving it as a stuffed baked heart..
If you are working with small hearts like chicken, then you can use them in place of stew meat or slice thin and use in many different ways, just remember that its a muscle meat and to cook as such. If you are new to it, start with it in tiny peices.
Heart Stew Recipe
- 1/2 Pd of Fresh Chicken Hearts
- 4 cups of canned tomato’s (or one large can of tomato’s)
- 1 Onion-Peeled and Diced
- 2 Cloves of Garlic -Peeled and Diced
- 6 cups of homemade lamb stock
- 2 sticks of Celery-Diced
- 2 Carrots -Peeled and Diced
- 1/2 head of califlower diced
- 1/2 cup of Barley
- 2 large potato’s -Peeled and Diced
- 2 cups greens-your choice, I did baby spinach for this one.
- 2 cups of water or tomato juice.
- 1 TBSP of Basil-Dried
- Salt, Pepper to taste
Put a tiny bit of oil in your nice big steel soup pot and cook your onions/garlic and then add your hearts, brown them (just like stew meat) then add the rest of the above and simmer for one to two hours depending on how thick you like your stews. If you need to, it will be ready in 40 min but it will be so much better if you slow simmer it or you can crock pot it for 4 to 6 hours.