It is No Buy November and we certain need it this year.. I have done this challenge in years past as a way to remind myself to not hit that “holiday” splurge that is SO easy to get caught up in.
We have all been there..
O that is so cute? Ah.. its the more adorable snowman ever..
O my gosh.. they have a light up chicken! I want one
Buy one and get one 50% off
Buy two and get the 3rd free
And watch out.. Amazon and BLACK FRIDAY SALES ARE COMING!
Why challenge yourself at such a hard time of the year? Early Christmas shopping, black Friday Shopping, Thanksgiving in the states, pumpkin spice crossing over to everything mint.. O those chocolates!
There are a few reason’s to consider doing a No Buy November
- Use the savings in the month of Nov as your Christmas spending budget in Dec?!
- This challenge will give you a “fresh eye” when looking at Dec and all that comes with that month. If you are putting things down in Nov.. its a lot easier to get more picky and put things down in Dec when you are shopping.
- Second hand shopping is allowed.. This helps keep things in good shape out of the land fill and it will encourage you to poke around in little thrift shops that you normally drive by
- Homemade is allowed as long as you can meet the peaple who make the products.. this means you can shop at farmers markets, you can shop at local community events, at church Christmas events and so forth..
- While it does adjust how you spend time with people it does not mean you can not have lots of social time. Its just needs to be done a little differently. Everyone might love having that dinner party, that board game night, Learning how to play a new card game.
So what do you need to do to join me in this challenge.
As the most basic, you do not buy anything new for the month that is not food or fundamentals.
Now you get to play..
Maybe you want to go a little more hard core.. maybe you want to limit your food budget as well.. Maybe you want to do homemade lunches all month, Maybe you want to create your own rules an limits.. It can be as small as you want or as sky high!
Farmgal’s No Buy November rules 2019
- No buying anything new
- Limiting myself to a total of 10 dollars a week in regards to food budget (if its needed at all)
- Medical needs are excluded.. (While I am working towards better health, I need to have freedom on this one)
- No paying events
I could have issues depending on sales on keeping to my food sales.. we will see.. I do have some flex there thankfully.
I think the one that will be the hardest to be honest will be the no paying events.. I have a number of events I have been invited to that all have some cost attached to them.. This will require some things.. some I can adjust and bring my own things to drink or eat.. other’s I might have to not go to.. and some others, I might go and then just have to own up here on the blog.. with full cost shared.
So are you going to do a no buy November? and if so.. what are you going to try for?