We are in zone 5 for our gardens and we are coming on the tall end of a number of things, still this fall garden based soup is lighter overall then what I think of as a cold weather winter stew.
Lamb Fall Garden Stew Recipe
- 4 slices of Bacon or a small chunk of smoked Bacon end, chopped finely
- 1 pound of grass fed lamb burger
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 med onions
- 2 med Squash (any young squash that needs to be used up, that will not mature in time)
- 6 med to large diced tomatos
- Salt, Pepper, Herbal Blend (no salt herbal blend)
- 6 cups of veggie broth
In your favorite soup pot at med heat, add your chopped bacon and cook till med done and the fat has started coming out, then add your garlic, onions, cook till they are softened and brown edges and the bacon is getting more crispy, then add your lamb hamburger and chop it up and fry it all together while stirring so it cooks in small bits (not large chunks) once the meat is browned.. Add veggie stock broth, and all prepped veggies..
Cook approx 20 minutues till veggies are tender and serve..
4 Large portions of Soup
Farmgal tip, cut down the stock to two cups and simmer it down and serve over pasta or rice.. would easily serve 6 main meals this way..
If at all possable use smoked bacon, it will add a depth of flavour to the dish in a very nice way!