In my wonderful “Full Bellies” community supported food basket was 4 peaches among lots of other fruit. What to do with this lovely fruit and how to make it part of a meal with protein..
Baked Herbed Meatballs with Peaches in a Chokecherry Sauce
- 1 pound of grass fed ground beef (would be outstanding with any dark wild game meat, deer, moose or elk)
- 1 med or large yellow onion, peeled and sliced in thin slivers
- 2 med or large garlic cloves, peeled and finely sliced
- 4 large peaches, pitted and sliced
- 2 tsp of herb blend like a no Salt Mrs Dash, 1/2 tsp of salt 1/2 tsp of black pepper
- 2 tbsp of apple cider vineger
- 3/4 cup of Chokecherry syrup if you can’t get chokecherry, then consider Black Current syrup or Black Current Jam as a replacement 🙂
In a bowl place your pound of minx or ground meat, your herb blend and your salt and pepper, mix it well together and make 4 to 6 meatballs depending on the size you want.. set to the side and wash up..
In a oven proof dish place your sliced peaches, onion, garlic, vinegar and pour in the syrup (if you are using jam, mix with the apple vineger to thin it down so it will pour more easily.. then tuck the meat balls into the dish. Bake in a 350 oven covered for 30 to 35 min, then uncover and bake another 10 to 15 min at 350 till meat is browned well on the top.
Serve on a bed of rice is ideal, or can be served with a baked potato on the side.. or serve in a bowl with a side salad. The blend of Peaches and Black Chokecherry is delightful and works perfectly with a herbed rich meatball..
This recipe makes a standard 4 servings with side dishes or 2 very large main course.. adjust as needed..