Well, this is a sad little post.. because I have not canned this month.. I mean.. I think I can every month, but this month.. nadda.. nothing.. I have not canned anything.. I dried a few things for the pantry, I salt cured things, and I even made salve.. but food canning.. its wash..
So what do I write about in this post.. hmm..
My Red Pepper Pasta Sauce
- 10 pds of red peppers
- 3 pds of Roma tomatoes
- 3 pds of white onions
- 1 whole garlic or about 8 big cloves
- 1 or 2 hot peppers, seeded out depending on the heat you like, add more or less.
- 2 cups of white or apple vinegar
- 3 cups of white or brown sugar
- 3 tbsp of canning salt and fresh cracked black pepper
Put them though the blender, and then simmer for at least 4o to 60 min till thicken to your tastes, then can, while most books say that peppers need to be pressure canned, between the vinegar, sugar, I have always water bathed canned this sauce
This sauce can be used in cabbage rolls, or as a pasta sauce as is, or if you mix it with cream or cream cheese, it is a different and delightful sauce indeed.
well, how about a couple nice proven recipes from past years for you..
Got a new history/cookbook called Acadian Plantation Country Cookbook by Anne Butler. It’s an interesting book, a couple of pages on the history of each local Plantation with photos and then three to five of their most famous known recipes..
So far I have made one, sort of.. Can I ever leave a recipe alone.. most likely not, but my version turned out amazing! so we are going with the one that was made, it was inspired by a recipe from Hilary Slaughter Grand Coteau.
- 8 ripe pears-peeled an cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup of frozen orange juice concentrate (I used pulp-free)
- 3 jalapeno, sliced thin, seeds discarded
- 1/2 cup of finely diced red onion
- 2 cups of sugar
- Juice of one Lime and one lemon
- 1/2 a cup of apple Cidar vinegar
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tsp of powdered ginger
- 1 tsp of Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 stick of cinnamon
Cook all ingredients in a big steel pot until tender and the juice is thickened(watch this carefully once it started to boil, and stir often) Made 4 8 0z Jars, water bathed for ten min.
It was recommended to go with all kinds of meats, but I can see all kinds of ways to use this amazing spicy flavor burst!