I have dried a good amount of Mullein Leaves for future use, I have some lovely first year leaves from mullein to make leaf Mullein Oil for Pain use..
BUT for today, we were picking the flowers buds, like so many things this year, I went at my regular time and was caught at just how further ahead these plants were compared to a normal year, I will head back in the two, three and four weeks till the seed has turned to do a good seed collection.
I put the mullein flowers and flower buds onto a lovely mid size mullein leaf.. I took the flowers and spread them in a single layer and I will let them wilt out for 12 hours and then I will put them in a clean dry jar and cover with good olive oil and allow them to cold process for one month flipping it and giving a shake once a week in a cool dark area and then strain and bottle for keeping use.
The flowers are about the size of a small piece of a corn and they tend to bloom in sets, in this case, you can see the first blooming flower has become a seed and the tiny bloom is between it in this photo.. Above you can see one that has a flower on both sides.
When using for a sore ear, I will make sure its gently warmed to body temp and put 3 drops per ear and then gentle clear with a cotton pad or ball after 3 min. If I am using it for pain relief I will rub it into sore muscles as a oil.
If you have a itch scalp, I might consider mixing some mullein leaf oil onto my scalp and let sit for 10 min before washing it out..
I was able to get enough to make a pint of this aweseome Flower Mullein Oil, which will used for ear infections, to be honest because Hubby and I rarely have them, most of the time they are used for ear infection in regards to the purrpots more then anything else but its always better to be safe then sorry and keep my herbal cupboard up to date. Never know when a friend might have a headache or a little one visiting might need a bit of help after a windy day with a sore ear 🙂
Mullein essential oil contains about a hundred major volatile organic compounds which have been detected. This incredible range of chemical compounds lend it its powerful healing properties. These are the nutrition facts of mullein essential oil.
Chemical composition of mullein essential oil
The major chemical compounds found in essential oil of Verbascum thapsus ( also called Verbascum oil ) are these :
- Coumarin – It has many powerful properties, like anti-HIV, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, anti-osteoporosis and many other effects. It is also used to relieve arrhythmia, asthma, pain and swelling.
- Rotenone – It is a prominent insecticide. It kills scabies and lice.
- Tannins – These are a class of compounds which show activity against certain kinds of viruses and other pathogens. They are being studied as a cure for viral infections like herpes.
- Saponins – This class of compounds are beneficial in lowering cholesterol. They are believed to possess activities like anti-HIV, anti-hepatotoxicity and anti-virus. They are also powerful antioxidants. Mullein essential oil contains a special saponin called verbascosaponin.
- Aucubin – This compound protects the liver from damage. It has been found to aid the liver in recovering from damage caused by carbon tetrachloride. It also helps in healing oral wounds, like mouth ulcers and canker sores.
- Catalpol – This compound is believed to stimulate hormone production in the adrenal cortex, although this has not been proved.
- Flavonoids – These are a class of compounds that exert powerful health benefits in small amounts. They are also powerful antioxidants.
- Verbascoside – This compound is an antibacterial. It kills Staphylococccus aureus. This bacteria is known to be the cause behind cellulitis, boils and even acne
* Chemical Composition and Antimicrobial Activity of the Essential Oil of Verbascum thapsus L.Katayoun Morteza-Semnaniab*, Majid Saeedibc & Mohammad Akbarzadeh
*Composition of the Essential Oil of Verbascum undulatum from Greece. Eleni Mellioua, Prokopios Magiatisa, Eleftherios Kalpoutzakisa & Eugenia Tsitsa. Journal of Essential Oil Research