One Pint equals one pound of Meat..

, so DSCN4464

We are getting going on processing out a goodly amount (several hundred pounds over the next while) of beef, pork and rabbit into jars, not to happy to have to do it hot pack method but just do not have room or time to thaw the meat to cold pack it.. So we are cooking it off and hot packing it.. I am willing to do that with burger and beef as there is a number of dishes that it will work with but will not be doing that with the rabbit or the stew meats.  Raw pack gives a different outcome over hot pack and I prefer it.

DSCN4462

Here is one pressure canner full from yesterday all washed and boxed up ready to head down to the cellar.. Which when its fully loaded looks a lot like this..

dsc00870

but right now.. its about half empty.. to be fair it is the middle of winter and hubby froze a lot of stuff I normally can but to be honest, its looking a little bare down there..

We need to focus on our gardens this year and get things put away!

What are you doing this fine sunday in the hard cold part of winter!

This entry was posted in food and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to One Pint equals one pound of Meat..

This is something I do when meat goes on sale. There is nothing better than grabbing a jar of ready-to-go cooked meats for sandwiches, fettuccine’s or any quick Mexican dish. I know it’s a lot of work but in the long run the shelf life far surpasses freezer life and if you lose power you don’t have as many worries about losing any of it. I don’t worry about running the generator anymore and there is nothing more wonderful than a quiet oil lamp lit home, a lap blanket with a kitty snuggled in and reading a good book. Something I do when a friend is sick, I pack them up a week of canned dinners. Every fall I make a big batch of Chicken, onion & garlic soup just for illness. I hand them the goods, say “Good Luck” and run! After they are better they come by to bring me the jars and tell me that the meals were a life saver.

• you are so right, my mom said her friend said, they can not possably eat much meat before it goes bad but my reply was.. it will if its canned, yes, its true that meat does have a more limited freezer life but when canned up, it last a lot longer, and if you know how to cook, you can get older freezer meat to go a lot longer then they say, granted, I do each of mine in sections and they have extra wrapping etc.

• Sheri says:

I remember something my Grandma did when canning, after everything was sealed up & cooled down she would take the bands off and wash all the jars down, making sure no food or oils were around the lid or on the jar. You want to leave no areas where bacteria or mold can grow and keep bugs (ants) from it. After everything was clean & dry she would dip just the top lid in paraffin wax to seal the lid. She kept a pot just for melting wax in. From what she told me the sealed jar could last 25 years on a shelf. What was so fun was going to the dump with my grandparents. She taught me how to find old jars that were good for canning. My dad and grandpa would hunt stuff to use on the ranch and we would always leave with more than we dumped off! Afterwards we went to a farm and went swimming to get all the stink off and had a picnic. That was living!

• Now that is clever indeed, when I was canning in alberta we have a dry heat and you rarely needed to worry about rust etc but since moving to Ontario with our humid hot summers, and a higher water table, its been a ongoing battle..

I do wash my jars after they sit for the 24 hours, if not, the minerals from our water leaves a white film on them, but the use of the water afterwards, not to create a seal for the food but to do a seal for the jar lids, is something I have never heard of before..

Would you be comfortable with me trying it this year and doing a report and posts on it, I will give credit to you or your grandma in whatever form you want for the idea..

thank you so much for sharing that with me..

• Sheri says:

No credit needed, just passing down information. I realize many things get lost over the years. My Grandma was a very resourceful lady and survived the Depression after being abandoned with 2 babies. I do remember my grandma making jam’s and sealing the tops of the hot fruit with hot wax. Don’t see that much these days and she saved that wax to reuse again. By doing this she could use all the odd-ball jars to store her jams in and save the fancy one’s for the pressure cooker. I’m the same here as you, lots of moisture, raining like crazy. Sounds like your water is high in calcium? Better than Iron! That turns everything orange and stains the sinks and tubs. While sitting at my computer my Nacho kitty bit the corner of the screen and it went on the fritz! She didn’t even break the glass! I had to move over to my husbands laptop. Darn cat!

2. Bill says:

My mother canned meat when I was growing up and I have friends who still do it. We’ve been freezing ours but there are so many advantages to canning that we need to start doing that too I think. Your cellar is impressive!

• I like to have a mix, I like canned meat for somethings and prefer frozen for others but for long term keeping, the shelf life of canned meats far outlasts that of the freezer. Thanks on the cellar, its always in flux depending on the time of year

3. Susan says:

I never paid any attention (besides to any job I’d been assigned) when dad canned chicken, but I watched pretty carefully when we canned jackfish…mmmm! I really miss that!! The long shelf life and lack of freezer burn are incentive enough to at least read up. Would be a bit of an investment in equipment and learning to start, but after that just time and of course the cost of the meat. How easy to prep a quick supper after a busy day!!

• Start Small, a couple cases of jars and you pressure canner, it does take a bit to get the skill set back and rolling but it will all come back fast enough and yes, its wonderful to be able to say.. get this or that from the pantry and very soon supper is ready

Another memory from childhood – rows of lovely pink bunny meat suspended in jars – all Cottontails that dad had brought home… And oh, I can still taste that wonderful flavour, all theses decades later: )

A couple of other things came to mind after going through the comments…
    When rinsing off your jars: a touch of vinegar in the rinse water will get rid of the lime film from your canning water.
    Using a vacuum-sealer for freezer prep (for which I reuse the heavy-duty bags our milk comes in) makes a huge difference how long your food will keep… No air in the bag = NO freezer burn and (no matter how well-wrapped) freezer paper, zip lock or twist tied freezer bags just can’t compete.

• i do add vinager to the water in the canner, it helps a bit but they all still need that wash up, never thought to add vinager to my washing water. I know that lots of folks like the vacuum sealer but i can taste a difference in food done that way and i do not like it as much as the tradional freezer paper.. just personal choice

• Deb Weyrich-Cody says:

I’ve never noticed any taste (and you know how fussy I am; ) but I’ve never used the plastic-on-a-roll that came with the machine either… I didn’t like its texture or the idea of having two seams to worry about air leakage; so I always used washed/rinsed (and line dried; ) milk bags which are a totally different type of plastic.