Laundry in Winter!

We all have that image, a warm sunny summer day, pretty bright sheets flapping in the wind, You in your pretty summer flock, with a sturdy laundry basket on your hip. O the smell when you breath it in, and later that night when you slip into bed.. not just new sheet night but outside line dried new sheet night..

Now lets flip that to winter shall we..

Tromp, Tromp there another new six inches of snow.. opps hit a drift, make that a foot of snow..

Frozen pins on the line.. Heavy wet already freezing cloths in the basket that you have perched on your winter jacket, under which you have three layers, you will learn fast that glove wearing and hanging of laundry do not mix well..

O sure, where them hauling the basket and getting the prep work done and for sure, get your hands back into as fast as possible when you are done.. but plan on cold wet freezing hands..

The sheets now are heavy already freezing clumps that do not want to shake out.. the bitter winter winds are pushing at your back and making it even harder to get that sheet up and spread on the line..

Cold noses, if you are doing a full line on a rock solid winter day and you can expect numb fingers at the end and forget that pretty flapping look.. those puppies can freeze on the line into stiff lumps faster then you can say… WHY am I doing this! LOL

Back to the house.. Stomp, Stromp.. brrrrrr…

Repeat hours later, and then shake them hard in the house, and if you are me, into the dryer for that last five to ten min fluff and hair removal..

All that to save 45 min of dry time per load.. well and that fresh line winter dried scent..  It can not be snow scented but it is something that only comes in winter whatever it is..

So do you hang cloths out to dry in winter.. do you do it till truly dried stiff or do you mostly dry out there and then finish in the dryer for fluffing and or lines etc

This entry was posted in frugal and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Laundry in Winter!

Lord have mercy! So basically what your doing is “Freeze Drying” and then knocking off the ice. Okay. Years ago (Thank God!) I had a wringer washer and “yes” I washed my clothes outside (in the winter), final rinsed with Downey to take some of the stiffness out (they would have chaffed us to death!) then line dried everything inside the house where it was warm, for that wood smoke smell! I didn’t have a dryer then but if I did I would have used it!

• I have lived both and used a wringer washer a few times myself, someday, I really want new one for here on the farm but I do like my new washer, its just sweet.. I do have a dryer and I do use it but I still like the line for different things

2. cecilia says:

mine will not dry out in the air in winter, they freeze solid within minutes, then after a few days i give up and bring them back in to hang above the fire, which results in cooking smelly clothes.. ah well.. c

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 1:48 PM, Just another Day on the Farm wrote:

> Just another day on the farm posted: “We all have that image, a warm > sunny summer day, pretty bright sheets flapping in the wind, You in your > pretty summer flock, with a sturdy laundry basket on your hip. O the smell > when you breath it in, and later that night when you slip into bed.. not > jus”

I remember my mother standing the frozen (work?) pants around the space heater; where they’d lean crazily against each other until they’d slowly thaw and bow down to the floor… : )
    I also remember her poor, red hands… Nice smell, but frozen fingers be damned. (Sorry): but there comes a point that the gas dryer rules – and smoke from the fire trumps that line-dried freshness, anyway):

Little story: Back in the mid 60’s my dad was stationed to Great Lakes Naval Station. We were from California and had never seen a real winter before. We got hit with such a blizzard that the moisture inside the house caused icicles to form on the inside of the windows that went all the way to the floor. I had fun looking out at the world through a crystal window but one day I decided I didn’t like it anymore. I grabbed one of my mom’s good kitchen towels and latched on and tried with all my might to pull an icicle off. Then the towel froze to the icicle! That towel was suspended for several months until the thaw and when it finally came off the power of that ice had disintegrated the cotton fabric threads into tiny bits.

5. calliek says:

I use my outdoor line rarely in the winter, only if it’s above freezing- I’m tempted today because we are sitting around the freezing mark and it’s bright sunshine, but it’s also the middle of the week and hydro rates mid day are too expensive to run the washer. We do have a line strung in the sunporch, where it’s always warm (and it’s where the majority of the plants overwinter) so we can line dry everything year round. Doesn’t get the same scent dried inside but the humidity makes us and the plants happier.