This is a lovely heavier “chowder thick” soup and it can be served at two points.
Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup.
- 2 cups of peeled cubed sweet potato
- !/2 Cup of green or brown lentils
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp of powdered ginger
- 6 cups of veggie broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cook till the sweet potato are starting to fall apart on the edges of the cubes and the lentils are softly cooked though.. It took me around 40 minutes at med heat.. Take off heat and let it come down from the simmer and using a metal or heat safe hand mixer blend it in the pot carefully or can blend in blender.. again.. careful.. its hot..
Can stop right there, adjust your salt and pepper and serve up thick and hot with a big spoob of sour cream in the middle with a some chives if you want.. or a swirl of cream on top with some crushed chili flakes.
However as much as I personally adore smooth soups.. Dear hubby does not!
Sweet Potato Lentil and Sausage Soup
In a fly pan at med heat with a touch of your choice of oil cook up..
- 1 med peeled and finely diced onions
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 or 2 precooked diced sausages or you could take raw out of the casing and make bits of it.. If you are using precooked like I did.. I sliced it in half and then down the middle giving me many small bite size bits of sausage..
- Cook till the onion is just starting to get clear and meat is getting some crisp bits and edges or if raw, is cooked though..
Add these the Sweet potato and lentil soup base, mix though and enjoy..
This soup recipe made 4 meal size portions or it would make 8 smaller soup starters or side soups. Its a great way to use up a single leftover sausage and turn it into a whole meal.