The joy of this dish is it had all the tenderness an flavour of a long slow cooked stew with all the speed of just cooking the carrots and turnips took.. if you did not used pressure canned meat, you would need a slow simmer for hours to get the same effect.
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic or 1 tsp minced garlic
- 3 stalk of celery trimmed and finely diced
- 1 small winter turnip
- 2 large carrots diced
- 4 average potatoes, peeled an diced
- 1 pint of canned meat and juice
- 12 cups of dark broth, I did a mix of mushrooms an beef
- 1 tsp of Montreal steak spice
- 1tsp of seasoning salt
Cook the onion-garlic in a tiny bit of fat or oil, if using fresh meat, brown it at this time then add all veggies and broth an spices and bring to a steady simmer and stir now an again till everything is tender, if added the canned meat and juices and heat though, if using fresh, simmer at low for at least another hour till meat is more tender
Make my standard dumplings recipe, step by step with photos on the link.
They will be dense but fluffy, moist and gravy on the bottom half but dry and o so good on the inside..