- Follow Just another Day on the Farm on WordPress.com
Farmgals Bucket List : Farmgal's Bucket List
I am sorry to have this rant, I might not even post this.. I most likely will and I am sure I will lose a reader or two.. but I have to write this.. If you live in an apartment or a tiny condo in the city, you can be many things.. You can be […]
Ok, its just going on record that we are going to be “in just in time mode” on most things this year. Let me give a example.. we have pulled at least a hundred or two wild parsnips but then we needed to focus on this or that.. and suddenly this week, we are like.. […]
- RT @LisaLynn83: Happy National Christmas Card Day! Here are some ideas for creating homemade Christmas cards, mostly from recycled and eco… 4 hours ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Carrot Pudding for Christmas
- Farmgal's Christmas Journal December 2018
- How to Keep your Chickens Laying in Winter!
- Making Paper out of Cow Manure
- Snow Cream Recipe
- Friday Rambles around the kitchen table
- Homemade Special Treats for the Cow/Horse/Sheep
- Rabbit Side Bacon or Jerky Recipe
- Butchering out a leg of lamb
- Savory Fall Venison Heart Stew
5 average leaves of lovage (do not use if person using has liver issues)
5 small (around four inches-young) comfrey Leaves
10 Large leaves and flowers of Wild Voilet
8 young Plantain leaves with stem included (4 inches long at min)
5 tops of Nettle (going to the third set of leaves from the top)
6 tops (same reach as the Nettle) of Spearment
3 6 inch stem and tops of Jewelweed
6 dandelion Flowers
Ideally pick when dry early morning, if they are clean, no need to wash them, if you must wash.. gently pat them dry, cut them into stripes and then bruise them This is a hot process salve..
Into a pot and cover them well with.. equal parts Olive Oil and Coconut Oil on the lowest setting for your burner, I let it “simmer” for a full 60 min, I strain out all plant material, and then I measure the end amount an for a softer salve, use about 5 percent of beeswax to firm it up and for a firm salve, up to ten percent of beeswax.
the scent is a mix of wild voilet and jewelweed when it goes on. .if you want to you can add a single drop of Pepperment oil to the blend just before filling your jars to give it a more common scent, I personally don’t mind the green-lightly floralish scent.
If you use it in a small canning jars, it should self-seal, and I have kept the salves for 9 to 12 months, ( I have never had them get older then that because we use them) however having said that, I normally say, once its open and being used.. six to ten weeks give or take, but if you put it in the fridge between uses, it will hold even better