March 2nd- The Canadian Wartime Recipe Challenge 2015

imagesX93DOI69

A hundred million pounds of Spam were shipped overseas during the war, and it was one of the key impacts on the home front in support of the troops,” he said Saturday.imagesP7YR0FA2

Many U.S. troops became all too familiar with the canned Hormel pork product, packaged in durable and easy to ship rectangular cans. So much so that, at times many of them found they couldn’t bear to eat another bite.
Others, though, couldn’t get enough.
“We never had enough of it for it to really become a problem,” said Bob McKee, a Palm Springs resident and docent at the museum who fought in the Pacific theater.
He said he was more often fed frozen mutton and other sheep products that came from New Zealand and Australia wrapped in giant burlap bags.
“I couldn’t even stand to look at that stuff,” he said, talking about the mutton.
Spam became a major protein source for the British, and Soviet Union Premier Nikita Kruschev said it saved the Russian Army.

spam_classic

Ingredients

Pork with Ham, Salt, Water, Modified Potato Starch, Sugar, Sodium Nitrite.

now the ways it was used then compared today is quite limited but still very tasty. Folks even make homemade spam, giving control over the process.

We are going with Three Spam Dishes for todays menu, making my one can of spam get more more bang for the buck

imagesVRAIYX98

Spam, egg with onion for breakfast

DSCN4798

imagesRPKTWZN2

Toasted Spam and pickle with tomato sandwich

DSCN4799

6__SPAM-n-Beans_gif_feature

Fried Spam with beans and veggies for supper

DSCN4816

So there you have Spam in three ways but we all know that is so many more ways to eat spam…

Which leads me to my first reader challenge..  you are welcome to send me recipes and or comments from your own family lore in regards to the things we are talking about..

Once a week, I will add them all, Make at least one for the post and do a Reader feedback recipe post!

I have a very interesting recipe given to me in regards to the oatmeal for breakfast, its different and I am looking forward to trying it as a breakfast during the challenge.

So tell me… do you have any long time Spam recipes in your family cookbook! Dish them on out!..

This entry was posted in canadian wartime recipes and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to March 2nd- The Canadian Wartime Recipe Challenge 2015

After reading that last post I went in search of this: Homemade Spam Recipe

2. David Jobes says:

Sorry having grown up in Minnesota I just can not even accept the thought of SPAM ever again. Just to much of it as a kid an it still makes me ill to think of eating it ever again right not/

On my email home page are options: new, Get Mail, forward, reply, delete, move, “Spam”! Some body didn’t like Spam!

4. Rachel says:

I collect WWII-era cookbooks, and I’ve tried a lot of the recipes, but I’m hesitant to get anywhere near slimy SPAM. I know it was popular and the old time radio shows I listen to have a bunch of ads for SPAM advertising the “quality cuts of meat” in it, but it’s just so… slick.

• Very interesting, I have a limited number of ww1 or 2 cookbooks, and I have ordered in a number more of books of collections, and yes, indeed Spam is in a lot of them 🙂 I have to admit that I do not mind it at all, was raised with it being a treat..

Yes, I know that is going to seem a bit odd but on the farm, a meat that came from the store was in fact a treat, and spam was one of the kinds we got as a treat, most often fried up with potato, onion as a kind of hash, that was one of my favorites.

Much to my hubbies ahhhh, I can even eat it warm temp, which is to tell the truth its most slimy, its better ice cold or crisp fried up.. but I love it even room temp with crisp pickles be it bread and butter or dill..

• Sheri says:

I came across this a while ago and thought it was really a very clever idea of using lesser expensive stew meats. Is Your Prime Steak Held Together By ‘Meat Glue?’

5. LakeLili says:

Hey FarmGal! SPAM is a favourite in my household. We stir fry loads of veg – onions, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, celery… whatever else is at hand… with cubed spam and lots of garlic powder sprinkled over top. It is the served either over hashbrowns (fried-up with the veg) or over ramen noodles. We tend to do this after a busy day when plain simple food is what appeals most.

• I know, I will own up the fact that I did NOT go buy spam from the store for today, I did not even need to the pantry, I had a three of them in the upstairs pantry, that means that I like it enough that at least one or more is kept upstairs LOL

6. Susan says:

I agree with FarmGal that meat from the store was a treat and we still enjoy Spam today, though not room temp. for me, at least. Cold sliced in a sandwich or fried or one of my favorite quick and easy casseroles – diced Spam, cooked macaroni, canned tomatoes diced, salt, pepper, grated cheddar then into a casserole and sprinkled with some more grated cheddar. I add some celery seed because I like it with macaroni and tomatoes. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 30 min. The crispy edge bits are the best!

7. Mindie says:

I am not a big SPAM fan, but it always makes me giggle because I think of Monty Python’s skit. Thanks so much for sharing on the (mis)Adventures Mondays Blog Hop. I look forward to seeing what you will share next.

8. Pingback: Canada 150 Food Blog Challange -Feb 2017- Doing Without | Just another Day on the Farm