Rhubarb Fruit-Canned

While Rhubarb will freeze for later use, if you know that you are going to use it within three months, and have the space in the freezer, feel free to do so. I have dried it, and it does work, and of course takes a great deal less storage space.

However if you are looking to put up large amounts of Rhubarb for year round use for me at least, I like to can Rhubarb Fruit. Please get the Bernardin Complete Book of Home Preserving for all your basic information.

A regular batch for me is 16 cups of Rhubarb to 3 cups of Sugar, and I hot pack it, and  hot water bath process for 15 min, so easy! and so yummy when done. You can move your sugar safely down to two cups or up to four cups keeping the rhubarb at the same percent depending on how sweet or sharp you like your rhubarb. It makes me six pints. Is there anything better then hearing that “Ping!”

This entry was posted in Canning and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Rhubarb Fruit-Canned

1. Deb W says:

Okay, so just so I’ve got this straight; you’re saying that you chop, toss with sugar, throw it in the jars, process and that’s it?? HOLY SNAP! (And you’re right, there’s nothing more satisfying than the “pop” of a Mason Jar lid. Unless it’s the little hissss it makes when you go to eat it; )

Oh darn, I missed the “hot pack” part the first time by… Oh well, it’s still got to be one of the easiest things to make, regardless. : )

• Deb W says:

Oh, just to make it less likely to stick and scorch, Mom always left the sugar out until almost the last minute and the “barb” was finished cooking. Same trick when making relishes, pickles, etc.

• yup, Wash, Chop four cups, which I then put in my pot, with the sugar on top and give it a stir, the sugar melts out and starts pulling the juice from the fruit, as you add no water, then continue to chop and measure out four cups till you get to sixteen, by that time you give one final stir to coat all the fruit in the sugar juice, put on the stove to start heating, you just bring it up to a boil and then hot pack it, and then process.

I have read in some canning books to let the sugar and the rhubarb sit for a couple hours before heating to pull the juice, I guess if you have drier fruit then I do, this might be needed but I have never done so.

I do agree with your comment below, there ARE recipes that I always add the sugar to the mixture when its hot but Rhubarb is not one of them for the very reason I listed above.

2. Daisy says:

I love the Bernardin book! I usually just freeze my ‘barb, but I really need to get away from depending on the freezer so much. I’ve found it keeps a bit longer than three months, maybe I’m lucky? I’m always using it in something where it’s really cooked down, like jams and whatnot, so maybe that’s the difference.

3. That’s what I did last night – I used 1/2 cup of sugar per 4 cups of water.

I can’t say it was EASY – I still haven’t got all the dishes done. Water bath canning is such a messy, dish-intensive job. Next time I’m getting more than the 70 stalks I did. It’ll be the same mess and work, but I’ll get more than 13 jars out of it! 😀

Now, I’m wondering — do you have any recipes for using it mid-winter? All the recipes I can find are for fresh or frozen rhubarb.

• Hi C.D.

Water?? You used Water in the fruit itself? Huh..

Ok, you cut the washed fruit measure out into cups and into your cooking pot, add your sugar (no water) and the sugar draws out the the rhubarb juice, you cook it just till boil about ten min, and then hot pack and process.

You are going to find it very watery if you added water to the process, and watch for mold as you didn’t use enough sugar in the batch, it won’t keep as long.. IMHO

I do have recipes, and I will get them to you later, remind me if I forget.

• Ugh. Ignore me … no water. Fruit.

1/2 cup sugar to every 4 cups of rhubarb. No water. The rhubarb had plenty of its own. I did it just like you did, except it sounds like you use 3/4 cup sugar per quart, so maybe I’ll increase with the next batch.

We’ve already eaten one pint just by itself. Tart but delicious.

• Glad you liked it, thanks for letting me know about the water, I figured you would love the fruit.

4. Nancy says:

Rhubarb is a great food to can, we usually do a dozen quarts or so every year. This year I am drying it for the first time and so far have been very pleased with the results!

5. I agree about the drying, I really liked it, and of course it uses so much less space, I found mine came back very well when I stewed it up but with less pucker power did you find the same?

6. Jen says:

Hello! I’m relatively new at canning. Last fall I did my first batch of apple sauce/apple butter/apple pie filling. A friend of mine dropped off a ton of rhubarb and I would love to preserve what we cannot eat right away. I think I understand the canning process. I’m curious about the drying. Just put the stalks in a dehydrator? How do you reconstitute it and is it suitable for pie usage? How do you recommend storing it? Thank you!

Hi Jen

For the drying, I recommend that you wash, and cut it into about 1 inch peices, it will dry out to be quite small, then take your tiny dried pieces and blend them till they are powder, otherwise, you need to cook the fruit and dry it into fruit leather, or it will be stingy. if you make it into the poweder you can then bring it back for any kind of fruit compot, nope won’t work for pies, if you want it for pie’s better to cut it, mix it with some suger, measure out the correct about for your pie and freeze it for later use. As for storing the dried/powdered rhubarb, I store it in a glass jar in a cool dry cupboard and it last for at least six month or more that way.

7. Joann Lavenuik says:

Hi just wanted to know if you have to use a canner with the canned rhubarb and id so for how long do you boil it Thanks Joann

Hi Joann,

I do use a water bath canner for the rhubarb, and as I am under 1000 feet at sea level, I do it for ten min, if you are over 1000 feet, I would recommend 15 min, hope that helps, and have a great day!

8. Pingback: Lets talk Rhubarb.. | Just another Day on the Farm