Reader Question- The Farm

Hi Guys, I had a reader make a comment with a question that got my wheels spinning, it went along the lines of, you are so lucky (yes, I am) that you have the farm and do so many things with it, but do you in fact make money at it.

Well, I answered nicely even as I thought, that’s a personal question, but to be fair, I did not get asked for amounts just if we did or not..

The Short answer is very simple.. No

I farmgal never do better then break even at times if you look at the farm as a whole..

The middle answer is.. Sort of, depending on the part of the farm we look at or the goal of the program..

A excellent example of that is sell a few extra lambs as farmgate to cover the cost of hauling and butchering on the lamb we eat ourselves.

While its not a tradional way to look at it, it works well for us, often I raise just enough extra to cover some part of the costs for our own use.

The Longer Answer is far more tricky, how do you figure out what the returns are in regards to my own food produced, be it meat, eggs, milk, fruits and veggies, be it herbs, or medical plants, be it the time to make soaps, to knit, to work hides, to blog..

How do you put a price on a lifestyle choice, I am not sure you can, but to that I say Yes!

Yes indeed as a person who is living the life she wants

Yes to being a land owner that does not really have a lawn but instead has a small holding.

Yes to raising my own food in all forms

Yes to reducing my chemical needs on the land and using old fashioned methods instead

Yes to taking back my ability to eat meat and KNOW how it was raised

Yes to knowing that I have created a space for millions and Billions of little critters and things to thrive, with the strongest things come at them is either a sheeps teeth, a birds beak, or our hands wrestling them to the ground..

NO, I am not a hobby Farmer… This is not a hobby.. I work at it full time!

NO, I am not a farmer, we do not make a living or even part of a living on this wonderful special piece of land we live on.

N0, I am not a homesteader, This land has been cleared and used for over a hundred years on the farm, the house has three different parts to it, the big Barn is OLD! and the little barn is at least 40 plus..  I certainly did not build this place up (But I have planted a good deal of trees 🙂

But I am a proud stay at home wife and landowner! I am blessed to be a gardener, blessed to be a caretaker of livestock, Blessed to pasture, Blessed to buildings and fences and so much more..

val riding at 6

Everyone does it, they say.. what do you want to be when you grow up.. and that sweet girl even at the age of six on Turp, would say, I want to get married, have children, and live on the land.. I wanted chickens and horses, a pack of hounds and farm cats.

I  also wanted to travel and learn and do all kinds of other things as well.. but I grew up to have the very life I dreamed off as a child, I thought I had a idea having been on the farm at the work it would be..

HaHa, not.. I had no idea just how much work it would be

Dreams to me should require work.. A gift is just that a Gift, do what you will with it..

But a DREAM, now that is something you feel with your spirit and  create with your own will.. and then you work hard every single day to keep true to it

This entry was posted in Blogging, farm and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Reader Question- The Farm

1. Mel says:

I think a better question than “Do you make money?” Is “Do you make a living?”. It sounds like the answer is a resounding YES!

Oh my goodness! The picture you posted could have been me on my Shetland pony Pom-pom! Great post Val! It’s not the quantity ($), it’s the quality! As a friend told me years ago: “The only things we get to take with us when we leave is the love and hopefully the knowledge and you never see a U-Haul truck unloading at a cemetery!”
    Here’s an interesting article I just read yesterday: http://www.salon.com/2015/02/10/what_nobody_told_me_about_small_farming_i_cant_make_a_living/

3. cecilia says:

Don’t you just hate it when people say Hobby Farm. As if Hobby and Farm are even words that go together! They are an oxymoron I say! I do not show a profit from farming either but we sure eat well you and I. c

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 10:55 AM, Just another Day on the Farm wrote:

> Just another day on the farm posted: “Hi Guys, I had a reader make a > comment with a question that got my wheels spinning, it went along the > lines of, you are so lucky (yes, I am) that you have the farm and do so > many things with it, but do you in fact make money at it. Well, I answered > nic”

4. Susan says:

Beautiful blog post, Val! And I agree with Mel – it is a wonderful, full life you and that hubby of yours have built on your little piece of land. Thanks for letting us come along for the ride!

5. Marie says:

I think the money you are making is in the money you are saving. You are probably making less trips to the grocery store, which means less work on the car etc. Plus, you’d probably fall on your butt if you actually went to one of those organic stores. The price for your grocery bill would be astronomical.

• I know that its very true, and I hear you on the prices, I do the same thing at the farmers market.. I look at the prices, shake my head and go WOW.. how do folks afford to buy some of this.. I know I would have a hard time if I had to pay those prices.

• Being honest, I would never eat lamb again if I had to buy at the local farmers market prices, last time I checked one of our favorite cuts it was 23 Dollars a pound.. 23! what the heck.. I mean I charge a flat rate of eight for mine, and unless something really changes, I will continue to do so.. but even if I needed to up, it would be like .50 to one dollar..

I often wonder just how much they sell.. its like farmboy and rabbits, yes you can buy a whole dressed rabbit for around 20 to 25, but how many really do..