Well the rabbit bacon is finally ready! So its time to come up with wonderful new recipes to use it up over the next few days.
Its a family tradional to make potato pancakes, and I know that we do it a bit different then many of the recipies online as my mother never used flour.. her most basic potato pancakes was grated potato and onion, fried till crisp on both sides in a cast iron pan about inch and a bit thick, the outside crunchy and the inside soft and thick..
Her deluxe version meant that you diced up bacon and cooked it up a bit and added it in the potato/onion and then repeats as above, on a very speical days, she would put some grated old sharp cheese and diced green on top to serve! This is a very heavy and rich dish but its so GOOD!
Today’s version is a just a touch healthier versin of her deluxe one..
Rabbit Bacon Potato Pancakes.
- 1 side saddle of rabbit bacon, (or about four slices of regular bacon) diced up
- 1 med size onion-Peeled and grated
- 1 Large Stalk of Celery-Grated or finely diced
- A quarter of turnip (either the white or the yellow kind), peeled and grated
- 2 large potato’s, peeled and grated.
- Enjoy fat to fry in
I did the the rabbit bacon till it was a bit browned, then I mixed it in with the rest that were all mixed together and into the fry pan to cook till done, this will make a four person dish..