I put some good olive oil in the bottom of the cast iron pot and simmered in two huge diced onions along with half a pd of diced lamb bacon..
I took my cooked beans, drain them and put them in that cast iron pan full of hot onion/lamb bacon, added one qts of homecanned crushed tomato’s, a pint of homemade Chili sauce, 1/4 a cup of molassies, some black pepper and some keens hot dried mustard powder to the mix, covered and baked, I baked for close to 3 hours and it was good and needed water added twice but it could have used another hour of cooking.. at a slow simmer in the oven till close to done, at which point, I uncovered it and gave it alittle extra brown time for another 15 min or so.
Now lets try that for folks that don’t home can
- 6 cups of Navy Beans-Soaked and cooked, which will double to triple in size
- One large can of V8 Tomato Juice
- One can of Tomato Paste
- One large onion diced fine
- 1/4 cup of fancy Molassies
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar or maple syrup
- half a pd of the best bacon you can get-cook, diced in peices, keep the fat in the beans.
- 1/2 tsp of black pepper and 1/2 tsp of dried hot keens mustard powder
Follow the directions listed above in the order and how to put it together.. Add a bit more tomato juice if you want more sauce.