Corn Muffins with Black Currents by Linda Fickling
- 1/3rd cup of butter (ok, it calls for shortening)
- 1 cup of sugar ( I cut it in half and used 1/2 cup instead)
- 2 eggs
- 1 and 1/4th cups of corn meal
- 3/4th cup of flour
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 a cup of dried black currents
- 1 cup of milk (I did half a cup of yogurt with half a cup of water mixed together)
Cream your butter/sugar, beat in eggs, place dry over top of, make a well in the center and then add your milk.. stir till just mixed.. do not over mix. 12 muffins in a grease tin at a hot oven of 375 for 25 min or until a toothpick comes out clean
Farmgal Tip. While a trip down the baking row at the store will quickly show you that more common fruits prices are higher and continue to rise, Currents so far are one of those that has stayed at same price now for years, they are at least in my area (Ontario, Canada) a frugal fruit choice still.
They are easy to grow in your own garden, they are very easy to dry for home use.