The Ontario Table by Lynn Ogryzlo

So first a note, to those that took me off their regularing reading by email after my lungs and Blood soup recipes came out, clearly I crossed a line for you, sorry about that, to those that are new, I swear I am not always that “out there” and to my dear regular’s I swear it will only make up a small part of the my blogging but I do want to share the learning experence with you..

Now back to our regular programming as they say, one of the gift from my mom this christmas was a big glossy, photo filled at first glance coffee table book called The ontario Table..and it truly is eye candy, tons of high quality glossy photos of all farming related things across this amazingly HUGE province of Ontario. It’s the kind of cookbook that only has one recipe per page with a huge photo of what the food turned out like and its fancy dishes and plating that would make a foodie drool..

But then I started reading the info on regards to the farms that were in fact growing that Ontario food and that is where this book really shines, each area of the province and its small farmers are highlighted, farm gate sales and hours are included, what they make for value added foods talked about, what farmers markets they supply, awards given by Slow Foods. All really good, and I would recommend it for the above alone.

However that best is yet to come.. The Ontario Pantry! WOW.. She has included websites on things to find locally grown and produced in ontraio, like a great local sourse for Grape Seed Oil http://www.ouellettefarm.com
I am so going to try the maple syrup vinegar from Mr. Vinegar http://www.mrvinegar.ca or how about our wonderful ontario salts from either Sifto Salt in Goderich or Windsor Salt, Still looking for places for local flour, here are few to try out Arva Flour http://www.arvaflourmills.com or Oak Manor wwwoakmanorfarms.com or Grass Roots Organics http://www.saugreenspecialtygrains.ca

Did you know that we have companies that can 100% Ontario Products, the list is to big to put them all here but I liked the list from Sunshine Farms http://www.picklesplease.ca as well as cottam Gardens tomato and beans.. http://www.cottamgardens.com

How about Verjus, the Ontario answer to lemon juice, they say it can be used in place of the lemon juice in all recipes, to be found at wineries like featherstone, its made and sold by Hughes Vineyard in beamsville..Did you know that Ontario is canada’s largest producer of peanuts, want to know more.. Check out Kernal Peanuts http://www.canadianpeanuts.com in Norfolk County.. We can even get Ontario made Soy Sauce.. http://www.pristinegourment.com, the last one i am going to highlight is Dried Beans, look for the Thompson label for Ontario Dried red and white kidney beans, yellow eye beans and white Navy beans http://www.thompsonslimited.com Want a bit more choice in your beans? Check out Hill Billy Beans.. wwwhillbillybeans.com

Honestly, I would recommend this book for the ontario pantry section alone! Check it out of the local libary, and create a whole new list of local food favorites and where to source close to home.. and for a special meal, check out some of those recipes as well.. 5 baaa out of 5..

This entry was posted in Life moves on daily. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to The Ontario Table by Lynn Ogryzlo

1. Brenda J. Elliott says:

I appreciate your apology but none is needed. None of us knows what the future holds and each of us could find ourselves wistfully thinking back to the day we zoomed past your earnestly-shared information. I have always turned my nose up at the thought of blood sausage, but then I’ve never tried it. I’m a life-long liver lover and I gladly eat things like giblet gravy, which many folks won’t touch. Now blood sausage is on my list of things to try .. just in case.

You are very fortunate to have such wonderful resources available near where you live. I live a land of maple syrup, too, but had never heard of maple syrup vinegar. Now I must find me some!

Thanks for your generous sharing. 😉

2. Brenda J. Elliott says:

Making your own Maple Syrup vinegar: The researcher in me made me hunt down this how to — which includes rum in the ingredients.

Directons on page 3: http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2008-12/making-vinegar-home

3. Daisy says:

I’m on my way out the door but I have to say this real quick – don’t apologize! I for one thought the posts were informative and responsible because you are encouraging using the whole animal, not just the pretty or culturally normal bits. I’m sure I’ll have some more thoughts on it later, but for now I’ll say it again – don’t apologize!

• queen of string says:

What Daisy said! If you’re going to kill something for food then eating all of it is the way to go. Blood sausage is very common in the UK, though I dont think many people think about it’s origins as it’s known as Black pudding. On a lighter note, your book sounds fab!

• Deb Weyrich-Cody says:

Yah, what Daisy and Queen said goes for me too! Bambi was a cartoon character, life and death are normal parts of living and animals (yes, we are all animals) are supposed to eat what they kill… “Waste not, want not.” by honouring all parts of the animal which gave up its life to help sustain yours.

4. Thanks Girls, I hear what you are saying, I guess I was just a bit surprised was all. Even my own mom who bought me the book got a tone in her voice this morning on the phone about having read the duck blood soup post, she did follow it up with the comment of, well you liked it and folks all over the world and years have eaten for years.. but none the less you could tell she was uncomortable with it..

It was like saying to hubby, having lung soup for lunch and got.. the look, granted after eating his full bowl (post coming soon with photo, if WordPress would load properly for me today) that it was a good solid 3 out of 5, I personally give it a solid 5 out of 5.. but as he said.. you can’t even tell its there, which is what the write up said, it was a wonderful way to make something that used it but didn’t “showcase it” if you know what I mean..

I still think its a good idea to learn how to use parts and bits that others do regular across the world and we have just forgotten how to use them, I am certainly not planning on making them the main food of my menu LOL but I do think that eating them now and again can’t help but be good for our bodies in providing nutrition, and the second part is, if I ever needed to know how to cook them, I will have learned how to properly prepare them for safe use in our meals.

5. calliek says:

Thanks for the book review- I need to find a copy. Mr. Vinegar (aka Roger) was my advisor when I decided to try making vinegar at home!

6. Pingback: Grilled Salmon and Leek tortilla Recipe.. | Just another Day on the Farm

Sorry, just a little behind the time, but for anyone that’s interested here’s an article about the Ontario Table – on celebrating their first anniversary: http://www.ontariotable.com/2012/06/