Bringing in the Pro’s

I like to do most things myself, I give my all allowed legal vaccines, I treat for worms and I help birth, I can tube feed if needed and give sub-q shots and fluids, I can trim feet on sheep, goats and even pigs when needed. I treat minor cuts and am the care giver on a few wounds that needed vet help but the rest was all done by me.

For 11 years on the farm, I have taken training courses, and I have been beside vets in the north as their helper aid.. while I know that would not happen where I live now in the clinic, on the farm, the vets I work with know that I can act as a helper in a number of ways.

Having said that..  Know when to call in the pro’s..  by law certain shots need to be given by the vet, certain health issues need to see the vet

P1050668

However my most regular pro without a doubt is my Ferrier. while I am sure if I had no choice that I could get my file out and at least keep my horse’s feet rounded and smoothed out.. but other then that.. I would suck at it.. I just do not have the knowledge needed to help my horses when it comes to their feet.

They are kept in a bare foot trim and it changes with the season’s and with what I am doing with them..  my gent is awesome, while he does count on me to tell him if there is issues, he also has me move them and he trims them different from each other, they wear their feet differently and they have very different hoofs, Brandy is very much got a big old workhorse foot, where Caleb’s is much more paint in ways.

He has stuck with me and worked with me with all of Brandy’s issues..  she likes him unless he is touching her feet, then it is BAD. I am grateful for his kindness and help, its been a long slow road. I know others would have quit on her but he never has.

P1050670

Caleb on the other hand is a dream to do.. such a good boy!

When it comes to your livestock, what is something you call in the pro’s for? What have you learned to do yourself? I wish I could call in the sheep shearing pro, but to bring him in for three sheep is crazy, but hand shearing is not fun at all.. more on that later 🙂

This entry was posted in Life moves on daily. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Bringing in the Pro’s

1. valbjerke says:

I have a long time farrier do my thoroughbred cross, but we do our draft horses ourselves. I have taken a course on equine functional anatomy through the University of Quelph, and own Butlers ‘The Principles of Horseshoeing’ which is a very comprehensive book on the hoof. I call my vet for floating their teeth – she does a beautiful job (and they get a shot before hand to relax them).
    Like you, we do most everything ourselves – but anything serious and our vet – (who is a mobile vet) is out here right away. 🙂

• Thank you for te book referral, sounds like something I should have in my farm book collection, yes, the vet does the horses floating, a skill I know my grandfather had but that again, I use a pro for

• Quelph offers so many amazing courses, its just so far for me and with the farm, I have rarely made it to any down ther

• valbjerke says:

You may not realize – their equine courses are offered online – very reasonable price. The last one I took required about 15 hours a week of my time – you need to be online a minimum of three times a week to participate- although I noticed some students put in less effort, and some more. You are grouped into online classes, the instructors are there all the way, the textbooks are reasonable (or sometimes included). Generally each course is twelve weeks long, you can just take one at a time, or only the ones that interest you etc. Check out University of Guelph Equine Online Studies on their website 🙂

• hi, did not know about this one, did try and take one online once but the data use to download and attended made it cost prohibitive on my internet plan

• valbjerke says:

Ah – I hear you – my data plan is not all that large and I had some concerns about that. These courses require very small amounts of uploading (assignments etc) but between the material provided and what you likely have on hand you don’t need to download anything. I did tons of online research for the course – but needed to download next to nothing.

• That’s awesome to hear, I will need to check it out and see if its something I would like to do then if that has been a change made since the last time I did online training.. again, thank you for letting me and the other readers of the blog know about it 🙂

2. judy says:

I believe Olds Ag College in AB & Uof SK ag depart. have online courses in different subjects also.
    Over the years we’ve learned to do our own vet needs also but don’t hestiate calling in the big guns when needed. It pays to nip things quickly sometimes before a disease spreads to other animals.

This isn’t on the vet side of things but a preventive idea…..our chickens have to be inside of course for the winter without their dust baths so years ago a older friend told me that a box of thawed out dirt mixed with a lot of wood ash does the trick. The girls use thier box every day & sure helps with keeping them clean!

• Dirt an wood ash will help but I have a trick there myself, pick up a bag of peat moss, cut open the top, as in take whole thing off and put in a box or corner, they will dust bath all winter and what they throw out helps keep coop dry, fluffs up and increases heating in deep pack method and helps greatly in decomposting and end product for garden use 🙂

3. judy says:

Will do….sounds perfect, have a bale of peat & cleaning the coop tomorrow so just in time!

4. judy says: